Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Two Weeks in South Korea


Greetings from Daegu Gyeonbuk English Village (DGEV)!

Hard to believe that I've been here for two weeks. The time is flying by. No computer the first week, then once I got the computer I was starting to teach! Meeting some wonderful teachers (pictured here: Jim, Jennifer (a couple), Michael, and Jana, my flight-mate from Montana), and trying to exlore as much as I can. Started teaching on Saturday--four classes, each 90 minutes long, with usually 10-15 students in a class. Sunday I taught a unit on Healthcare for a class of about 35 that lasted about 2 1/2 hours. It went much better than I was expecting. And to boot, I had one of the most rowdy, disruptive groups (the infamous Group 6!). With that many students, I just let Group 6 do what they wanted--sometimes they participated, sometimes they didn't--but at least they allowed the others in the group to learn. One has to be thankful for the little things. . .
The facility here is absolutely amazing. Very ostentatious, lots of marble everywhere. This week we probably have about 250 children on campus, plus about 50 elementary school teachers who are learning how to improve their English language skills and learning how to use English in their classrooms. There are about 30-35 full-time ESL teachers, a Korean staff of about 10 in the administration office, and who knows how many kitchen staff and cleaning crew.
Several staff from the UCCS have been here for the last two weeks, just making sure we new teachers have been given all the tools and materials we need to begin teaching.
All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my time here so far. The weather is hot and humid with occasional rain. The campus is a bit outside of town, which I enjoy. We drive through a lot of agricultural areas then start the 10% grade climb to get here. The road is lined with hundreds of fruit trees, so I can't wait till next spring. I think the fall foliage will be spectacular too.
I promise to write more soon. I have a story about my adventures into town yesterday. . .
Love to all,
Connie in Korea

5 comments:

  1. Con Con - This is great to be an armchair traveller and read your blog. Sounds like you are off to a really great start. I've moved in! First few days had a cold which sort of made me settle down and take it easy which was probably the right thing anyway. Nature supports! Vollie and Bill, neighbors, came over with a tin of cookies last evening. What a great neighborhood! Coleen an I walked to the children's city garden - wonderful Pete destination. Love you - Scoots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie! I am so proud of you, not that that is my right. And, as always, better you than me. You are so right about being thankful for the little things. I had to get to that place before I could even see or be aware of the larger things. God is good! You are in my prayers and in my computer! I love you, and so does Mike. Be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like you are already adjusting to your new life. I'm glad all is going well and will look forward to hearing about all the new things you see and learn. Have fun and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie Yes I have been to baths in denver that sound sort of like that experience. they were Built by eastern russian immigrants in the 40'? No soap operas on tv juwst in personal discussions you overhear cause they speak english. I hope you will post photos Oh yea you said check face book ,wanna be my cyberspace friend? Oh what is this world coming to? Actually in this distance type relationship it is O.K. you sound very healthy and happy I pray this remains so and that you remember we all love you and remember "make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold. " Lovin you Kiri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dad gave me a copy of this blogsite. I am glad things are well with you. Quite an adventure!
    Still in Iowa, I retired 2 years ago, but have done some teaching at a local community college. Linda still works and Kate lives in Delaware and Kristin in Fort Lauderdale. Kristin adopted a 3 year old from Russia 2 years ago and I can't wait to take him on his first sledding experience on their Christmas visit this week.
    I can't believe we lost touch. Send me an email (www.shawnee66grad@gmail.com)to let me know if you have an update on blogspot and your travels.
    Have a Joyous Christmas and stay healthy in 2011! Cousin Joe

    ReplyDelete