Sunday, August 30, 2009

360-view of my room

A view of my somewhat messy desk. The fan on the top is one I made while in Gyeongju. Well, actually, I glued the flowers on. More about Gyeongju later. . .

View of entrance, shoe closet, fridge, table and chair. Bathroom is to the right, as you come in.




Bed and night stand. My new lamp I purchased in Gyeongju, made with Korean rice paper. Wall decoration is also Korean paper. I plan to mount the fan in the center.




Korean "closet" and evening view of patio. View is actually quite nice. Lots of trees on a small hill, with two "burial mounds" just below my window. I'm on the 4th floor.



The burial mounds are quite common in this area. Supposedly the college, when they built this village, had to agree not to disturb any of them. You can walk through the surrounding woods and find many. Usually they have an accompanying stone or marker of some sort--some with Korean writing on them, many with Japanese. A reminder of the many times this country was invaded by their neighbors. I'll have to get a picture of one to show you. They're usually just a mound of grassy dirt, about 2-3 feet high. The higher the mound, the more important the person was who was buried there. In Gyeongju, we saw mounds that were 20 feet high!

1 comment:

  1. Connie - I am soo excited to find your blog! I am hoping to start teaching ESL outside the US early in 2010 and have considered DGEV because of it's association with UCCS. I am 57 and it is so inspiring to see someone else that age doing something that I have been dreaming about for years now. Can we correspond via email - if you have time? I have questions and some concerns.....here is my email: aebuchho@yahoo.com
    Keep up the blogs - they are great!
    Thanks, Anne

    ReplyDelete